Venus Williams was ousted

Filed under: , , , , by: simplegal

I just wanna share this news which I got from the Roger's Cup site just last night. Though it is already late for a day or two, my hand will be itching if I'll not be able to post this one. This will only be for my own benefit though. :) This is when Kateryna Bondarenko, a 64th ranked player, ousted Venus William on the 1st round of Roger's Cup 2009. I'm never really a fan of the Williams but I also respect them so much because of being highly-calibered and very competitive when it comes to "being on the court".


"Kateryna Bondarenko pulled off a shocking upset on the second day of main draw action at Rogers Cup. The 23-year-old from Ukraine rebounded from a tough first set to defeat world No. 3 Venus Williams 1-6, 7-5, 6-4 on Centre Court at Rexall Centre.

In front of a stunned crowd, Bondarenko continuously frustrated the elder Williams sister and served for the match after breaking Venus to lead 5-4 in the third set. Ranked just No. 64 in the world, she continued to shine after qualifying over the weekend, winning her fourth match in four days.

"It's pretty good," said Bondarenko after the match. "I feel that I can win with anybody if I can win with Venus."

Williams had defeated Bondarenko in both previous meetings, before the Ukrainian turned the tables on Tuesday. Surprisingly, Venus is still winless in three career matches at Rogers Cup, having lost in the first round in both 1995 and 1997."

Another thing to site also is that my 2nd fave Ana Ivanovic also advanced to the second round on a three set victory with Magdalena Rybarikova, currently ranked 47th in the tour.

photo courtesy of zimbio.com

"Fan-favourite Ana Ivanovic was in trouble early in her first round match against upstart Magdalena Rybarikova. The 2006 Rogers Cup champion was on her heels, losing a quick first set and surprising those in attendance at Rexall Centre.

"I felt my movement, my shots, everything was working well," said Ivanovic. "But I was trying to play a little too safe. She's a good player and she was playing really aggressive and dominant."

Instead of folding, Ivanovic stepped up her game, breaking Rybarikova to take control of the second set.

"I kind of got my momentum back and I started playing a lot better," she said. "That was exactly the kind of game I should have played from the start."

The end result was a 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 Ivanovic victory, ending when Rybarikova's backhand found the net on match-point. The supportive crowd gave both players an ovation as they left the court, following the exciting start to Tuesday's action."

0 comments: